If you need help immediately, call 911.
To access the mental health mobile crisis team call 902-429-8167 or toll-free at 1-888-429-8167. This is a 24 hour, seven days a week phone service to help you or your loved one cope with mental health and addiction challenges in the moment.
Clinics and Services
View the list of NSHA programs and services
Visitors are welcome throughout the day except during a rest period between 2:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m.
The parking lot entrances are located on University Ave. and South Park St. A parking fee will be charged when you exit the parking lot. Please make sure you have the correct change or your credit card. The following fees apply:
- $3 per hour for the first two hours
- $2.50 for the third hour
- $2 for each additional hour
- There is a maximum daily rate for $14.50
Special rates are available for the family of long-term inpatients after the patient's has been in hospital for two weeks. See the nursing station on your patient's floor for more information.
Discounted rates may also be available for outpatients with long-term treatment schedules. See your clinic's registration area for more information.
Free Shuttle Service
Patients and families who are mobile and need transportation between the Victoria General (VG) and Halifax Infirmary (HI) sites are welcome to take the QEII shuttle.
WiFi and Internet Access
Free public WiFi in certain areas of the facility.
We make every effort to make sure your stay with us is as comfortable as possible. Patients requiring semi-private or private rooms for medical reasons always have priority; however, private or semi-private rooms may be available on request.
Private room: $175 per day - Includes one bed and one washroom.
Semi-private room: $155 per day - Includes two beds separated by curtains and one washroom.
Ward room: Covered under your Nova Scotia Health Card (MSI) - Includes three or four beds (separated by curtains) and one washroom.
Space in our private and semi-private rooms is limited. The sooner we have your insurance information the more likely we are to be able to accommodate your request.
When the booking clerk calls with your hospital admission date, let them know you are interested in a private or semi-private room.
When you are admitted, be sure to have your private insurance card with you and let the admitting clerk know you have requested a private or semi-private room.
TV and Phone Services
Bedside TV service is available at no charge if you request, receive and pay for a private or semi-private room either personally or by using your private health insurance. If you do not have private health insurance, the following rates apply:
- Premium TV: $12.45 per day plus taxes
Please note: A portion of the revenues generated is returned to the hospital to help fund various hospital improvements.
How to set up bedside TV service
- To activate your television, just dial 2999 from your bedside telephone.
- A customer service representative is available every day between 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. to address any questions or concerns, receive cash payment and process your request.
During your stay in hospital, you also have the option of activating your bedside phone.
How to connect, transfer or disconnect your telephone
- Dial 499 from your bedside telephone and a BellAliant representative will arrange to have your telephone service connected, transferred to another bed, or disconnected.
- BellAliant’s office is open seven days a week (except holidays), 8:15 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
- If you have questions about the service, please call 1-800-760-8969.
- When you are discharged remember to dial 499 to request that your phone be disconnected so that billing is stopped.
- If you forget to request your hospital phone disconnected before discharged to home, call 1-800-760-8969 Monday to Saturday between 8:15 a.m. and 4:45 p.m. to arrange disconnection.
Service and connection rates
- There is a $10 connection charge to set up in-hospital phone service.
- The following fees also apply:
- $2 per day for the first 15 days
- $1.25 per day for each additional day up to and including 30 days
- $0.75 for each day after 30 days
- Daily service and connection charges are billed to your BellAliant home telephone account.
- If you are with another provider, BellAliant will create a separate account for the duration of your hospital stay.
- Your bill can be paid the same way you would pay any other BellAliant bill.
During your stay at the hospital, you will receive breakfast, lunch and supper daily.
You can choose from a variety of options each day. The menus typically include:
- Breakfast: An assortment of homemade muffins, hot and cold cereals, yogurt and fruit, coffee or tea.
- Lunch: Choose from soup and sandwiches, mixed vegetables, pasta and casseroles, including dessert of fresh fruit or a sweet.
- Supper: Options include meat, fish, potatoes and vegetables.
If you follow a special diet or have food-related allergies or sensitivities, let us know when you arrive.
The procedure for ordering meals will be further discussed on admission by dietetic technicians. If you need help filling out your menu, or feel you or your family member may be unable fill out the menus daily, please talk to the dietetic technicians.
Cafeteria and Coffee Shops
Scotia Room Restaurant and Starbucks
Main floor, Victoria Building
Mon-Fri 6:30AM - 9:00 p.m
Sat, Sun and Holidays - 7:00AM - 9:00 p.m
7:30 a.m. - 7:00 p.m 7 days a week. ('Grab and go' food available until 9:00 p.m)
Friendly Corner, Scotia Room Retail Hallway, Victoria Building
Monday to Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday: 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Because You Care Gift Shop, Scotia Room Retail Hallway, Victoria Building
Monday to Friday: 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Shoppers Drug Mart, Scotia Room Retail Hallway, Victoria Building
Monday to Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Bank machines are located in the lobby and the Scotia Room Restaurant.
Spiritual Spaces and Quiet Rooms
Requests for spiritual care can be made by patients, family member and/or any member of the inter-disciplinary health care team.
The Centennial Building is located at the Victoria General site of the QEII. It is home to inpatient units and offers a variety programs and services.
QEII Health Sciences Centre Redevelopment News and Updates
You can get information and updates about the redevelopment of the QEII Health Sciences Centre HERE.
Places to Stay Nearby
If you are from outside the Halifax area and need a place to stay, there are not-for-profit lodgings located near the QEII site that specialize in accommodations for patients and families
Halifax Haven Guest Home
5897 Inglis St.
Point Pleasant Lodge
1121 South Park St.
The Lodge that Gives (The Cancer Lodge)
5826 South St.