(This service varies by region.)
CAPE BRETON AND VALLEY REGIONAL HOSPITAL CLINIC HEART FUNCTION CLINIC:|
The Cape Breton/Valley Regional Hospital Heart Function Clinics offers education, optimization of heart failure medication, and therapies for people who have suffered heart failure. Patients will see a nurse and a specialist which may include a regsitered dietician.
The visit includes education, drug therapies and more.
(This service is only available to clients referred by a specialist in this region.)
SOUTH SHORE AND QUEENS GENERAL HOSPITAL HEART FUNCTION CLINIC:
The South Shore/Queens General Hospital Heart Function Clinics are specialized hospital based clinics designed to reduce hospitalizations for patients with Chronic Heart Failure (CHF). Patients with CHF will see a Nurse Practitioner (NP) who works collaboratively with a team of cardiologists and internal medicine specialists to optimize medical therapy, and provide education on self management to prevent hospitalizations and ER visits.
BRIDEGWATER & AREA FAMILY HEALTH CLINIC
This is an outpatient clinic directed by Cardiology and lead by a Nurse (RN/NP) with specialty training in Chronic Heart Failure (CHF).
This clinic offers outpatient education for patients and family caregivers living with CHF. Two referral options are available for patients in this clinic: Referrals must be initiated by a physician or nurse practitioner.
- Education and lifestyle counseling, exercise prescription and chronic disease management follow-up by our Heart Failure Nurse (RN) Specialist and Registered Dietitian.
- Comprehensive Heart Failure Care is a service available through referral by Internal Medicine only. It includes:
- Initiating appropriate heart failure medications
- Drug titrations to target evidence based doses
- Early intervention for acute decompensation
- Clinical investigations as appropriate to identify and correct any reversible causes of Heart Failure.
- Education, counseling and exercise prescription with ongoing chronic disease management follow-up.
Locations and contact information
How do I get an appointment?
(This process varies by region)
BRIDGEWATER AND AREA FAMILY HEALTH CLINIC
A referral from your doctor or nurse practitioner is required.
You must be referred and followed by a cardiologist or internist (internal medicine physician) to access this program
SOUTH SHORE AND QUEENS GENERAL HOSPITAL
Referrals are accepted from physicians and NPs for patients with CHF. If you suspect that your patient has CHF, our internal medicine and cardiology staff are available to rapids assess your patient, and ensure that a plan of care and follow up is established. Please fax referral forms (.docx download) to 902-543-8895.
VALLEY REGIONAL HOSPITAL
To attend the Heart Function clinic please have your physician call or send a referral to the attention of Fiona Peacock at Valley Regional Hospital 902 679-2657 x 1360
For Healthcare Professionals
Please visit the Cardiovascular Health Nova Scotia corporate page.