The INSPIRED COPD Outreach Program brings together a team of professionals to provide education and support to people with COPD and their families in their homes to help them cope better with COPD.
- Home-based education according to your needs. This includes information about caring for your lungs, medications and use of your inhalers, home oxygen (if your doctor has prescribed it for you) and coping with your lung disease.
- A “COPD Action Plan” to help manage COPD and its acute flare-ups so that you can treat infections early and avoid trips to the Emergency Department.
- Help with navigating the healthcare system and gaining access to programs/services that may be helpful to you.
- An opportunity to discuss advance care planning.
- A contact number you can call between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. on weekdays where you will be able to speak to a respiratory therapist if you have questions or concerns about your COPD.
There is no cost for participating in the INSPIRED Program.
Location and contact information
You are eligible for The INSPIRED COPD Outreach Program if:
- You have a confirmed diagnosis of COPD. This needs to be confirmed by a spirometry test (a breathing test that measures lung function)
- You live in the Halifax Regional Municipality
- You are community dwelling, which means you do not live in a nursing home or a long term care facility
- You are willing to be referred
And You have at least one of the following:
- Severe COPD (which you probably do if you have COPD and are too breathless to leave the house, or get breathless after dressing/undressing)
- Moderate COPD (which you probably do if you stop for breath after 100 meters or walk slower than those in your age group and have to stop for breath when walking at your own pace
- Been admitted to hospital with a flare up of your COPD more than once in the past year (this admission and at least one other)
- Been admitted to the to the Intermediate Care Unit (IMCU) or the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) for a flare up of your COPD during the past year
- Gone to the Emergency Department frequently in the last year because of your COPD
How do I sign up?
The INSPIRED COPD Outreach Program currently accepts referrals from healthcare providers (doctors, nurses, respiratory therapists, etc.) for patients that meet our eligibility criteria.
If you are a patient with advanced COPD who meets our eligibility criteria and would like to be part of the The INSPIRED COPD Outreach Program, please ask your family physician or respirologist to fill out The INSPIRED COPD Outreach Program Referral.